Funny how a melody sounds like a memory.
For no-fuss, laid back days it’s hard to beat a good burger, right? You don’t need the meat of land-walking animals for a good burger though… I know…I should be incarcerated just for saying that. Honestly though, if you are someone (like me) who thinks (most) veggie burgers taste like baby food and cardboard slapped together into a patty shape then don’t worry; I have a solution to make your “meat-less” burger delicious, using the great big ocean as my protein supply. My tuna burgers with “fancy” mustard sauce are going to make you very happy!
Tuna Burger with Fancy Mustard:
1 tbsp wasabi powder
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup veg oil, plus little extra for coating the grill
6 tuna steaks (about 3 lbs total)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
12 brioche buns
- In a small bowl mix 1 tsp water with wasabi powder to form a paste, then stir in the sour cream, mustard and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. (Fancy mustard)
- Preheat your grill/griddle to medium heat. Lightly brush grill rack with veg oil.
- Cut tuna steaks into large chunks and then pulse them through a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Transfer tuna into a large bowl and stir in egg whites, soy sauce and sesame seeds. With moistened hands form the tuna mixture into patties (should turn out about 12).
- Brush both sides of each burger with veg oil. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Serve on brioche buns with wasabi-mustard sauce.
*You can add veggies or greens of your choice to the burger, such as: tomato, lettuce, onion, etc.