Hey gang! It’s been a while, huh? School sucks…but in the end this saying rings true: nothing good ever comes easy!
On to something tasty to lift my spirits and yours! Gotta love food therapy! I’ve always been a huge fan of coconuts even though the coconut has only become a fad recently. The benefits of coconuts are pretty incredible. I normally dislike most things which are commercialized and popularized (since they are mostly hyped up bullshit) but, despite the popularity increase, the coconut remains a very tasty and nutritious food. I’ll make a list of the health benefits because I think it’s pretty cool — there are quite a few, so I’ll just write out the most interesting.
…because everyone loves lists, right?
Coconut Health Benefits:
- It helps with digestion and many of the symptoms and inflammation that come with digestive and bowel disorders
- It’s anti-fungal
- Coconuts increase your energy expenditure (increase your metabolism)
- Improve blood cholesterol levels and can lower your risk of heart disease
- Coconut oil moisturizes and supports the natural chemical balance of skin, protects hair against damage, and can also be used as sunscreen
- Coconuts positively affect some important hormones in the body (such as those controlling the thyroid) and can help maintain healthy blood-sugar levels
- Coconuts have amazing antioxidant effects
- Can rid the body of parasites
- Reduce the discomforts and symptoms associated with malabsorption and cystic fibrosis
- Improve absorption of calcium and magnesium (for strong teeth and bones)
- Supports and aids the immune system
- Can reduce seizures associated with epilepsy
- Coconuts have positive effects on people with mood disorders and Alzheimer’s disease
Phew! That is quite the list, isn’t it? I think it’s phenomenal that one fruit can have such incredible benefits. Plus coconut can be consumed in many ways! Coconut milk, coconut water, coconut flesh, and/or coconut oil! So start incorporating some of that goodness into your daily life; it not only tastes like a tropical paradise its great for you….how many foods can you say that about?
Here’s a little recipe for a delicious coconut treat:
1/4 tsp lime zest
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp honey (more can be added to taste)
6 ozs yogurt
3 ice cubes
Toss the first 4 ingredients into your blender. Process until it’s smooth. Add yogurt and give a few whizzes. Drop in the ice cubes and process until the ice is broken up and mixture is smooth.